Friday 01 March 2002 -- 09:54 hrs CST

the question of the day,

 If I install two instances of MDK 8.0, which contain identical
kernels, passwords and user names...when I mount the portions of the
other, to the one running,
 will I encounter an adverse interaction?

The reason for this project:
        This nine bay tower and LCD monitor is mounted in a truck, I
use it
for navigation and communication E-mail...sometimes I am on the road
without my bag of trics/discs....

       I have an extra 2G Dos partition that I have never realized a
requirement for as once planned.    I thought if I stripped down a MDK
8.0 system, reformatted to fs2, and installed it there, in one root
partition,...I would have a self contained ,bootable
repair system , to use in case I botched something on my  main
system, and rendered it unworkable?

I am using Reiser so I need to use the same kernel, my concern
is...Would the repair system read the config files etc. from mounted
sections of the main system and become confused?  I know the operative
system reads every partition mounted when you run trics like  df -m
...it will give the specifics of the other dormant system on the disc.
so it has acess to them all.

        I also wanted to use the same passwords and user names so the
permissions would match on both systems, and avoid confusion on my
keyboard inputs....but I cannot determine if these identical genetics
would create an atmosphere conductive of a "system destroying"
incestuous relationship.

        I am not trying to back up my main system...I am trying to make a back
up system. ...that is bootable, can send mail, has VI and MC etc , one
that I can use both to repair my main MDK 8.0 and to operate ..on those
occasions when my "crash axe" sys admin procedures render the main
system defunct...

or..does this qualify as just another olly harebrained idea?

--
Olly P......... Biloxi Mississippi ---- Linux MDK 8.0 and
2.4.3-20 mdk Kmail 2.1.1

Fri Mar  1 10:10:06 EST 2002

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people
are right more than half of the time.
                -- E. B. White

 10:10am  up 3 days,  2:42,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00