Heather,

No password doesn't matter as long as there is no password on both XP
and LM accounts.

What are the permissions on smbusers?  On my system, that's in
/etc/samba BTW.  Do an "ls -l" and check the ownership as well as the
permissions.  On mine it's:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           97 Nov 17 04:26 smbusers

Remember that the first group seen here as "rw-" refers to the owner of
the file, not to root unless root owns the file.  If you have created
smbusers with ownership other than root, try "chown root:root smbusers"
to make it owned correctly, then try editing.  Do this as root of
course.

HTH
Brian