The kernel is 2.4.8-26mdk, I installed LM 8.1 3 weeks ago so I've not
changed or upgraded anything yet. By the way, the modem was a CM8738 not a
i810sis, I tried all back from the scratch with this new setting
--with-hal=cm8738 but the results are the same. How exactly did you make
the driver ptserial.o work and ignore those errors?

--
reply to a previous mail,

>what mainboard?

Elite/SIS
System Mainboard PCCHIPS
Model M598LMR 1.0

>mainboard chip?

SIS530 CPU to PCI Bridge, ISA AGP PCI USB SMBus/i2c

>pci board chip?

probably HSP56 CM8738 /PCI-SX, the sound card works ok.

>new daughter board chip? [forget name for new io slot]

PCtel/DAA, fb daa2, daa2f PCT303L.

According to 2 different FAQs (same pctel.o driver different versions),

"You need an Elite/SiS mainboard with the CM8738 Audio/Modem ASIC and PCtel
Codec/DAA daughterboard. The modem daughterboard has a RJ-11 phone jack to
hook up to a phone line. The modem driver autodetects the correct PCI
vender and device ID to install the correct interrupt handler."

AFAIK all within the minimum hardware requirements for installing the
driver properly, so it should not matter, unless i'm missing something.
Therefore, making insmod ptserial.o work would be enough to load the modem,
now how do i get rid of those errors?

Regards
Paul