On Saturday 09 March 2002 01:48 pm, dfox wrote:

> The utility is calleed memtest86, so google for it. I think there is
> a disk image on the Mandrake CD but I'm not sure.

   If y'all have ML 8.x to 8.2, a memtest86-??mdk..rpm is on your Cd's.
If you install this rpm, it'll add memtest86 as a boot option. I've had
problems usin it this way tho. It's also much better to test hardware
without loading your OS/file systems. Specially Linux/ext2, and any M$
Windoze product.  File system corruption and/or Winblows registry
corruption can occur.

   So, however you get memtest86, I'd advise copying it to a floppy and
booting that, rather than booting to it on your harddrive from lilo.
The tar.gz version has an 'installer' to do this for you, just read the
doc.  Mandrake's rpm  will put a <memtest...bin> file in /boot, edit
and run lilo to add it as a boot option. You can copy that or any other
<memtest.bin> to a floppy by doin this in a term
   dd if=memtest-2.8.bin of=/dev/fd0     (this assumes you're in the
dir where you have <memtest.bin>, and that your floppy is fd0 )

   OTOH, 'mprime -m, 17' (Prime95's torture test) is a much better
cpu/cache/ram tester, but it still won't "prove" your hardware as well
as Cpuburn will         http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/

   Any software test of ram/memory is not entirely feasible. Only very
expensive hardware test beds, that're specific to the ram being tested
are accurate viable tests.  Cpuburn will, like most other software
testers, stress check the cpu/cache/ram all at once. Faulty systems can
get by memtest86 fairly easily, even the Prime95/mprime torture test
won't find all difficiencies ... but if Cpuburn doesn't find 'em,
they're probly aren't any, ie 'bulletproof'.

    That's why I advise testing cpu/cache/ram from a memtest86 floppy
first, keeping your OS/filesystem offline. If all's well, then try
mprime's torture test. If you pass that, go for Cpuburn.  Until a
system passes Cpuburn, any problems, present or future, could be more
likely be hardware than software, or at least you'll never really know
"or is it somthing else" ;>
--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas