Hi,

I have just upgraded Xfree86 in Mdk 8.1 to 4.2.0.  I used the
binaries on the XFree site.  It was recommended i do this on the
gatos site where I wanted to grab a driver for my ATI card.

It occurs to me that the rpm database does not understand this
upgrade and is operating as if i have XFree86 4.1.0

So... what is the idea here - use rpms only?  Is there a way of
telling rpm what I have installed?

I have binary for my ATI Radeon card I'd like to install - I
can't find an rpm for it.  Should I do it or risk more of these
incompatibilities with my rpm database?  Should i be using
rpmfind?  I am just downloading it now.

I am interested in learning how to manage my machine.  It seems
this is a  messy process.  I'd love to hear how others manage
their Mandrake files.

Walter
Some clips from the console follow.

~~~

1001 walter@psybernet:~ (12:14:53)
$ kpackage
kpackage: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadMatch (invalid
parameter attributes) 8   Major opcode:  42

~~

1004 walter@psybernet:~ (07:52:32)
$ rpm -qv XFree86
XFree86-4.1.0-17mdk
1005 walter@psybernet:~ (07:52:42)
$ X -version

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
      If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
      newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
      reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)

Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.9-13smp i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present

~~~

>From the man page:

REBUILD DATABASE OPTIONS
       The general  form  of  an  rpm  rebuild
       database command is

       rpm     {--initdb|--rebuilddb}     [-v]
       [--dbpath DIRECTORY] [--root DIRECTORY]

       Use  --initdb to create a new database,
       use --rebuilddb to rebuild the database
       indices   from  the  installed  package
       headers.

~

I guess this means it just rebuilds its data from rpm related
installations.

--
Walter Logeman
Psychotherapist