At 16:28 11.03.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > ya'll will have to type real slow because I am from deep in the piney
> woods of east texas and can't read very fast.  In fact so far back in the
> woods that chickens wear overalls.
> >
> > I have a toshiba cable modem that uses usb (mandrake set it up and it
> works.  Yea!).  I have a nic and with a crossed cat5 to my w2k machine
> (no hub).
> >
> > I want for the w2k machine to be able to get to the internet.
> >
> > With very little knowledge on the subject, what should I do.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rick

rick,

i can suggest u following way :

1) goto http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cmlan.html and follow the
steps there to get a working win-linux lan
2) goto http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cipc.html and follow the
instructions there to get your mandrake box
masquerading all the traffic from the windows box.

because that is what u want to do - u want to mask all traffic that goes
from the win box to the internet (via the linux router)

additional sources of information would be :

the IP-Masquerading Howto
the IP-Tables Howto (this is a linux-firewall)
Netfilter-Howto

u will find all this howtos and much more at www.linuxdoc.org

btw. - mandrakeuser is a great source of information - and the guides are
imho great for newbies.....

hth

--quay