Music to my ears!
Speaking as a relative newcomer to the world of Linux, I was at first
impressed by how many applications came with LM8.1, then dismayed by how few
actually worked out of the box, or did anything useful.
I was reminded of the PCs that you can buy in England from a company called
Time - the HDs are bloated with loads of applications such as "another
million indispensable fonts (release 3)". Sounds impressive in the adverts,
but that's it.

I don't have much patience for a lot of the tosh that litters my
installation CDs - for example, none of the CD burner software worked, most
had absolutely no documentation, and many of the games seemed to crash
straight away. And the games that did work... well, they made Solitaire look
exciting.
A "retail" release as suggested by John would be great for me - leave out
all the server stuff *AND* any alpha/beta releases *AND* anything that's
undocumented/has no help menus. Some people like the fun of getting an
undocumented cd-burner GUI to run. I just want to burn MP3s.

Yes, the success of Linux is down to people who like to tinker with things
to get them to work, and no, I am not trying in any way to denigrate what
they are doing.
What I'm trying to say is that I totally agree with John that Mandrake can't
be all things to all people - I'd say that to seriously appeal to "users"
rather than "geeks", you need a different version of the product: a cut-down
version, not one with extra/different packages.

By analogy, try this:

You buy Windows in a retail pack. You try the included utilities, one is
rubbish. You curse Microsoft.
Then you download some shareware to try out, and it either works or it's
rubbish. If it's rubbish, you shrug your shoulders and move on.
Same rules should apply in the Mandrake world: everything that's on the
"retail" Cd should work (especially if we're supposed to be paying for it
nowadays).
After that we'll take our chances with all the free RPMs/sources out there
;-)

Just my EUR0.02's worth.

Richard

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,