Stojs wrote:

>I have my connection sharing working almost prefectly. The only problem
>is with a windows program called "direct connect". It is a p2p program.
>When I run it with windows connected directly to the internet it runs
>perfectly, but connected through linux with firewall stopped it cannot
>reach out to search.
>
>Is there a way to make the linux connection sharing completely
>transparent?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Stojs

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, Active FTP won't work through a firewall/connection sharing scheme
either.  It appears that this may be a similar case, sending out
machine-specific addresses which it picks up from netstat (which is a
program existing in both worlds)for reply, and of course if your
meachine is behind a connection sharing device (even a router) without a
real internet address, (using one of the local-only sets 10.x.y.z or
172.16.y.z through 172.31.y.z or 192.168.y.z) then no reply over the
internet is possible because the routers won't relay the message.

This is specific to your program rather than to the sharing setup, all
of which use a form of Network Address Translation or "masquerading" to
put several machines through one internet-valid IP address.  Chances are
it will work only in direct connect unles it, like FTP, has a "passive"
mode not requiring port commands.

Civileme