On Saturday 16 March 2002 18:56, Veysel Harun Sahin wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am using mandrake 8.1. both at the console and x i can write with tr-q
> keyboard without any problems except not being able to see these turkish
> characters truly: ð, Ý, ý ý and þ.

First, make sure you have the following installed:

locales
locales-tr
XFree86-iso-8859-9
XFree86-iso-8859-9-100dpi-fonts
XFree86-iso-8859-9-75dpi-fonts

(you don't actually need both of the ast two, but their useful for
printing/displaying at different resolutions)

Also, if you have a Windows partition, grab the truetype fonts from there
using the Mandrake Control Centre.

I don't know how Gnome handles things these days, but in KDE, from the main
menu, go to Configuration->KDE->Look and Feel->Fonts and make sure you've
selected iso-8859-9 in "Character Set" (some fonts will not have this option).

Console mode is a different story - I used to know how to do it several
installs ago, but I stopped bothering, as I only use console mode for
commands (and editing system files when I screw up!).

Other applications ...
Most apps use the default desktop fonts, so no problems there.  In LyX, set
it up for Latin5 in document properties (this is for the output, not the
screen font).  Star/Open Office is problematic, since at least in the version
I have, it will always choose iso-8859-1 fonts in preference; the only way
I've found round this is to install fonts which only exist as iso-8859-9
(Turkish) fonts.  However, I noticed there's a (rather alpha) Turkish version
out for Windows, so if and when the Linux version appears, this might solve
that particular problem.

All we need know is for someone to write aspell/ispell dictionaries for
Turkish (not easy for agglutinating languages)!

Robin