Graham, I only use KDE as my window environment/manager.

Thanks LX for the DCOP info.  That cleared the fog.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Lyvim Xaphir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 11:38 PM
To: NewbieMandrake-List
Subject: Re: [newbie] What is ICE and DCOP?

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 11:21, Burrows, Scott wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Newbie question here.  I have a MD8.1 system.
>
> What are the following files in my home folder for?  If they are corrupted
> or deleted what happens to
> the system?
>
> 1) ICEauthority
>
> 2) DCOPserver_localhost.localdomain_0:
>

> Thanks
>
> Scott Burrows
Scott,

Truthfully, I'm not sure about ICE.  But DCOP is a process that allows
desktop application interoperability under KDE.  I run Enlightenment
with the KDE compatibility mode enabled and DCOP runs a symlink in my
home dir as well.  It allows cutting and pasting between apps, among
other things.

HTH,

LX