SNIP
> Naturally though, your mail has made me curious : If 8.2 runs faster
> than 8.1 maybe I'll try that too because, after all I'm a bit addicted
> to aesthetics, I admit.
>
> And here's my question : will 8.2. break the "natural law" that dictates
> every new version to be slower than the previous one ? - IOW : can 8.2
> run reasonably fast on my old laptop ?
>
> Can I have your opinion, please ?
>
> TIA
>
> Kaj Haulrich
> Denmark

Well Kaj. My opinion is not worth much since I have only been a Mandrake user
since 8.0.
For sure 8.1 is slower than 8.0, and 8.2 is faster again. How much is hard to
judge, but KDE was painfully slow in 8.1 on my 233MHz 96M RAM laptop, while
in 8.2 it is fairly lively and quite usable. (Except with Open Office where
the display follows 10 secs behind my typing)  I'd say give it a go.  8.2 is
pretty nice. It has certainly been easier to get fully configured than either
8.0, or 8.1.  But then maybe thats just because I have some idea about what I
am doing now ;-)

BTW: Civileme often recommends using the 2.2 kernel on 'challenged' hardware.
So maybe thats why you find 7.0 so fast? Maybe 8.2 with the 2.2 kernel could
be the best for you?

I have made progress on the problem with XFce. It seems to relate to
supermount and xftree.  Other file managers do not have a problem, and if I
disable supermount xftree is OK. Looks like I'll have to try to get used to
some other window manager, or else take advantage of the KDE running so much
better and use that.

derek