From: Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Living in the real world - Win4Lin4 NO INTEREST TO
GEEK FOLKS

> Wordperfect was one of the first things I got going myself after I started
using
> GNU/Linux. I had next to no GNU/Linux experience at the time, but I found
the
> installation to be a breeze. It is a free (as in beer) download.
******* There was a post here about it a week ago - I couldn't even
understand the "simple" destructions needed. :-)
I did try and install a freebie copy way back when but it had no sense to it
for a non-geek. The "expert" at the Oz Computer magazine confessed he
couldn't either at the time.

> FrontPage98 is a joke. It is malware like this that is destroying the open
> Internet.
******** I agree it could be lots better, but an awful lot of pros use it
for QANTAS ( No, not the Airline, Quick And Not Too Arty Sites). I know of
nothing faster and easier anywhere for non-geeks. So long as you don't use
FP Extensions and keep off  IIS Sites........... there aren't a lot of
tricks to using it. :-)

> > 2.  If you are a serious business user, you NEED to be moving toward
voice
> > recognition as you know.
>
> No, I don't know. Why would a business need voice recognition? I once
tried
> using Viavoice for a whole year -- my productivity decreased despite my
best
> efforts at speaking clearly (something which I've been told I'm good at)
and
> training the software. These packages often advertise 90%-95% accuracy.
This
> sounds great, until you realise that this means that every 10-20 words
will be
> incorrectly interpreted. John Dvorak recently wrote an interesting article
on
> the topic: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-826862.html.

******** A point at a time:
1. Because real men never did type and modern liberated females won't
anymore. :-)
Like Dvorak, you might have vocal range problem, much less an accent one. I
couldn't imagine a "Good Ol' Boy" ever getting to use it, or an excitable
Southern Indian. :-)
More to the point, at around 40 w.p.m. with 90% accuracy as a typist, VR
will break even under most conditions. Over that it drops rapidly. HOWEVER ,
in the publishing world, in technical material we used to cost on 19 w.p.m.
with girls whose "rating" was 65 w.p.m. in Pittmans test. In the real world
( that phrase again!) it was extremely rare to find an executive that could
properly dictate to a stenographer. They were status symbols for the most
part.
As a professional dictator (ha!) I must say I do know few people as
experienced, trained and natural as me at it, for over 30 years.  I am
approximately 120% more effective/productive using VR.  BUT as a typist I am
only "quite fast" - about twice the rate of finished work as an average
self-typing person creatively trying to do the two things at once.
But poor old Dvorak - a most unhappy puppy alla time - lives in the wannabee
world of pontificating pundits. He has no idea of the incredible science and
wonder that has got VR this far!  But, it isn't for everyone. Like playing
with command lines thrashing around with broken software and loving it! :-)

> What is your definition of "incredibly poor presentation"? Open source
> developers usually prefer to focus on code quality rather than polish. MS
bangs-and-whistles.
********* I used to teach methods engineering ( IT speak Systems Analysis)
and the very first thing I would stress was:  forget the production, write
the manual. Do that first and you will always do well. Yes, it is boring -
and usually embarrassing, too. But I also meant overall. The physical
display of onscreen fonts was not acceptable to a serious user. Imagine
trying to write for 5 hours using it.

StarOffice and KDE (to use your examples) are very usable
> and stable. They _do_ have extensive help structures, so either you didn't
> install them or you just didn't look properly.
********* No they just weren't there - it was a problem not resolved at the
time on this list - it was a known bug as I recall.

> Nothing is perfect. Go to a Windows list and I'll guarantee you that
you'll see
> many users with problems. On this list, most problems are quite minor, and
many
> messages are simple enquiries.
******** Oh, I agree 100% on both points. But I've never failed to get a
Windows system up - and remember I'm not a geek. I just can't get them to
keep up!!

> You seem awfully pessimistic for one who is "in hopes".
OH no!  Just realistic.  On current performance levels and rate of
improvement, at least a year to go, unless someone gets the message and
looks at the true market mechanics. Then you need 6-8 months, in my
experience of many product developments over the decades,  to eradicate the
negative past and develop impetus.
Financially Mandrake has not got anything like that long on its dwindling
reserves and realistic income expectations.

> > I believe you really need a Geek to get you online.
>
> Then the geekiness kicked in. I remembered that LILO used to have a
problem with
> booting from a partition that was past the 1024th cylinder on a drive. I
deduced
> that Win2K might have the same problem (probably deliberately, to prevent
users
> from dual-booting with a non-MS OS). I repartitioned my drive, making an
NTFS
> partition at the beginning. After reinstalling Win2k, it booted to the
GUI. Had
> I not been a geek, I would not hae known this relatively obscure tidbit of
> information.
*********** Actually, you had a well-documented problem there from using
Partition Magic.
I take it you were using V.4 or prior?  It didn't know about Big Bill's
inalienable right to come first!
Drive C: or else, amongst others.
But remember, people do not install OS's in the real world. They come on the
machine, or the shop that flogs them the "upgrade" does it.

> Getting online was the interesting bit. I have a Netcomm external modem
(which
> are very common in Australia), which has a _real_ Rockwell (now Connexant)
> chipset. I tried a variety of different generic and vendor-issued drivers,
and I
> tried just about every Dial-up-networking setting. After a week of trying
and
> then giving up, my modem magically started to work. I still don't know why
this
> happened.
*************** Netcomm always was strange.......... .they started out
making for Apples you know - nobody could get anything to work with them.

> In Caldera OpenLinux, Red Hat and Mandrake, all I had to do to connect to
the
> Internet was run KPPP (the KDE 1 version) and enter a few settings.
Simple.
************ Funnily enough, Internet access was the one thing I did achieve
on a few attempts........ but, after all, that IS what the OS was born for,
wasn't it?

> > non-Geeks who WANT an alternative and the 300 million who don't even
know -
> > ( the ones who keep buying Apples!)
>
> Please tell me why you hate Macs so much. Enlighten me.
************ I don't hate anything that is successful without it hurting
people, Sridah. I am simply astounded. If EVER my case for marketing being
the key success always, it is the juxtaposition of  Apple and Amiga - or
even Linux Domestic.

> Like with GNU/Linux, you obviously don't even know what Macs are about,
and
> what's worse is that you don't even want to know. How can you criticise
> something you don't understand?
******** Incorrect. I know perfectly well what they are about.  I owned
Unix systems while you were in grade school. Believe me I knew quickly. Same
with Linux. As for GNU - well, I can bat that ball with lawyers, much less
philosophers.
You are confusing the mechanic with the owner/driver. I do not want/need to
know how a gearbox works to drive a car well.
Apples? Well, I owned part of a company that used to sell them. The owner
had owed us money. They sold those dreadful things into critical commercial
situations as networked devices. We got them out of trouble. My own
Technical Director heavied me into getting out of that Company. He was a
German perfectionist and a REAL Computer Engineer. "We shouldn't have
anything to do with those things, they are just expensive toys for the
unitiated and I don't feel that we should take advantage of people."  He was
right. We built 10x better machines for less than half the price.   AND I'm
talking about the good ol' days when the simplest PC installed could set you
back $4,000.

I hope that this does explain things a little more clearly for you, Sridhar.
It will eventually be good people like yourself who can save the whole
Freedom Of Choice thing for us. It is simply a matter of reading  Kilneth's
"The Lion & The Lamb", an explanation of singular disparity of commonsense
missing from the "Cathedral & The Bazaar" and the succinct explanation of
why the very few "They" are filthy rich and "we" are not.
It is not nice. It is not warm and fuzzy like "Cat & Baz", it is cold, hard
truth, impeccable if unpleasant, logic..................
Remember at school/uni? The two ends of the political spectrum were always
sold as communism one end, fascism the other and democracy............?
The two ends are Anarchy and Feudalism and on the right IS everything else.

Bless you all folks, it's nighttime here and bedtime for an oldie,

Cheers,

John
Hoping for V.9.1