I have installed ML 8.0, 8.1 and now 8.2 on my Gateway Pentium III.  On
8.0 and 8.1, I could not get satisfactory sound from the Gateway OEM
version of the SoundBlaster Live Value card that came with the machine.
I have the Boston Acoustic Digital speaker set, but the default
installation of ALSA 0.5.10(?) sets the master output of the card to
analog signal.  I have confirmed this with an old pair of speakers.  ML
8.2 sets up sound much more reliably than the previous versions -- I
even get sound now from my Hauppauge TV card, but the output is still
analog.

Does anyone know of an option that will turn on digital signal output to
the Main output of the SoundBlaster Live Value card?  I have asked this
question of the ALSA mailing list, but have yet to receive a reply.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Gentry
Charleston, SC

Very pleased with ML 8.2, so far.