are you doing an upgrade from 8.1 or a completely new install?

by any chance, did you change the default partition sizes?  for some
reason, i remember when i did that when installing 8.1, my machine also
hung in stage 2 of the install.  leaving the default as is (i.e. not
changing the default partition sizes) worked.  odd.