----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Well done.. You are having to work at getting this installed  ;-)

It was down to working round the foibles of the Sony...

> Mandrake is pretty good at detecting NIC's ..

I ditched most of the NIC settings and it seems to be happier during boot.
My options for a LAN are presently restricted to the desktop (via a suspect
crossover cable ), or the cable modem - neither of them caused the LEDs on
the NIC dongle to light up. I kinda thought something would come on even if
the drivers were iffy. They come on in a w2k boot.

> .. You probably just need to set up
> DHCP if needed, DNS server, Default gateway, and HostName  A good tool for
> this is netconf. It works in X or from the command line.

I'll have a fiddle next time I boot it.

> The command 'ifconfig' is good for looking at NIC status and setting
> it up on the fly. See 'man ifconfig' for a full breakdown

Righty-ho.

> Yes.. By default Mandrake will mount the first Windows partition as
> /mnt/windows  you can just browse there.

Yup, I stumbled over it earlier.

> If you have trouble writing to the
> partition (and it is not NTFS) then the permissions in the file /etc/fstab
> will sort you out.

Time to try out the cp command. During the install, it said it had trouble
with emacs. I only copied the first CD to the Win partition. Assuming the
RPM thingy can be tracked down, is that a decent editor (for a Win/DOS
jockey to use quickly without screaming)? If not, what would be a suitable
choice?

> Check out the documentation at
> http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3 and
> on your hard drive at /usr/share/doc/mandrake/en/index.html for basic
> commands and the file structure.

That would be handy.. :-)