Hi everybody,
When using Mandrake 8.1 I was able to install and use the Nvidia drivers
from NVidia site for my GeForce2 GTS using the usual method explainded
in the Nvidia README file:
- Downloading the source files.
- Compilling and installing:

        $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
        $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz
        $ cd NVIDIA_kernel
        $ make install
        $ cd ../NVIDIA_GLX
        $ make install
- And modifying the X config file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with:
        Device section and replace the line:
                Driver "nv"
        with
                Driver "nvidia"
        In the Module section, make sure you have:
                Load   "glx"
        You should also remove the following lines:
                Load  "dri"
                Load  "GLcore"
        if they exist.

I recently installed Madrake 8.2 and this method didn't worked for me.
All these steps worked fine with no error messages. I restarted the X
(via the Control + Alt + Backspace keys) and the nvidia screen was
displayed before the X restarted. After this the X started and worked
fine. So the nvidia driver worked.

The proble is when rebooting the computer: The X was not unable to start.

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem???

Thanks!

Gregorio