Roger,

I found the culprit. Near the beginning of the commonhttpd.conf, you'll
find a section that sets directory options for the website as a whole:

  <Directory />
    [blah, blah]
    Deny from all
  </Directory>

The "Deny from all" tells Apache to disallow anybody to connect from
anywhere unless individual directories specifically allow it. By default,
the HTML directory is set to allow everybody in, and it looks like the
cgi directory is too--except Apache assumes you'll put your stuff in
/var/www/perl rather than /var/www/cgi-bin. No idea why. The cgi-bin
directory is still set to "deny from all". So there are two possible
solutions:

1) If you're not worried about security, you can replace the "deny"
with "allow" in that in the <Directory /> section.

2) The better method is to replace the "deny" with "allow" in the
<Directory /var/www/cgi-bin> section.

Either way, don't forget to

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd reload

as root after you make the change.

Miark

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:32:27 -0700, Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly: