On Monday 25 March 2002 02:24, Mick wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> Hmmm.....I typed in what you suggested (cdrecord -scanbus) and this is what
> I got:
> [mick@localhost mick]$ cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
> Schilling Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
> scsibus0:
> cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
>         0,0,0     0) 'CD-ROM  ' 'Drive/F5E       ' '0.27' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W1610A' '1.03' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> Maybe I setup something incorrectly? Controller returns wrong size? Does
> this shed any light on my problem?
> Let me know.
> Mick

Funnily enough someone else had a similar problem a couple of months ago. It
was finally tracked down to the firmware revision of the CD-RW . While your
model number is not the same as the last guys it IS one of those listed by
Plextor as having the problem. SO here is the text of the mail that resolved
the last problem of this kind.

You can do the upgrade in Windows. It is not apparently very difficult.

derek

"If you look at Jorg Schillings page for cdrecord you will note that there is
a firmware upgrade for the Plextor PX-W8432T
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/firmware.html

It is also referenced on the Plextor Technical support page
http://www.plextor.be/english/technical/download2.html

and the README for the upgrade specifically mentions this drive
http://makecd.core.de/ftp/FlashROM.readme

The only thing not mentioned is what the upgrade actually does?

I think we can probably conclude that you need to upgrade the firmware of the
drive before it will work  :(  "