Barry,

Sounds like telnet has been disabled on the linux side, but ssh is going
to work for you.  This is a much better solution (much more secure).
Just download putty from:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

and you should be in business.  There are other W$ ssh clients you could
use too, but putty seems popular and it works very nicely for me.  Click
on the ssh radio button and just type in your host name or ip and you
should get a login prompt.

HTH
Brian