I use an SBLIVE! soundcard.  I found that frankly if I don't have the
"alsa" drivers loaded, I get nada sound.

I take it you checked the volume levels?

Fwiw, Sound works in all WM's except Gnome *the bane of my existence, i
swear it...be it Ximians' or the new 8.2 ver*.

I also loaded the OSS drivers *used em, they don't work*.

Creative does have new drivers out too I believe but don't have the
website URL offhand.

Femme