Just add an executable line to the name of the tar.gz by using date.
Pretty simple.  I do it all the time.

tar -zxf /path/to/file-`date +%m-%d-%y`.tar.gz /path/to/dir/to/backup

You'll end up with /path/to/file-03-26-02.tar.gz

Check out date --help for all the possible flags, so you can get your
tar file as specific as you'd like.  Including the time, just the day
and month, format, etc;

Hope that helps ya.
tdh

 T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091