Remember how I was told the other day that /etc/rc.local
is just a symlink to /etc/rc.d/rc.local? When I was
working on that 8.2 box yesterday, they actually became
different files, which I discovered during the networking
snafu. I commented out IP aliases in /etc/rc.local, but
the changes didn't affect /etc/rc.d/rc.local. The symlink
was gone, and the files were independent. I nuked
/etc/rc.local and make a new symlink. And then it happened
again! I eventually just nuked it altogther.

I don't think I'm imagining things, but how could that
happen?

Miark