-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Im Auftrag von Sridhar
Dhanapalan
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 4. April 2002 09:45
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: [newbie] Re: Michaels Minutes (WAY OT)

On Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:12:55 +1200, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Sheesh couldnt you have just posted the bleeding link... what a waste
> of bandwidth. Two minutes at the website gave me:
>
> http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes.php

I'm probably going to ruffle a few feathers here but I think it needs to
be said.

Does anybody seriously think this will be a good thing for Linux and
free software? I most certainly don't. Why pay US$99 when you can get
CodeWeavers CrossOver Office for $54.95, which you can install on
virtually any modern distro? CodeWeavers give all of their code back to
the community, while Lindows don't. Lindows is highly insecure:
everything runs as root and users are even discouraged from creating a
root password. All we need are a few easily-written exploit scripts for
this poor excuse of an OS and open source as a whole (not just Lindows)
will be given a bad name. GNU/Linux virii will become a widespread
reality (on Lindows, that is), fueling opposition to open source.
Antivirus and security companies will jump on this. People will be duped
by their FUD-laden advertising and will pay big bucks for software they
don't even need. I can see this becoming some sort of vicious cycle.

Until Lindows gains some decent security I shall continue to wish for it
to suffer a horrible, horrible death.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
                        -- Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for
Linux