List,
        Just in case anyone else is interested.  My problem stemmed from the
fact that I must have chosen "LOW" as my security level, instead of
"MEDIUM".  On msec level 3 or greater the syslog messages are written to
/dev/tty12 by default.  So to solve my problem of the missing messages,
I just ran `msec 3` in a console as root.
        Afterward I was able then to figure out that the real fix was adding
the line `*.* /dev/tty12` to the end of my /etc/syslog.conf file.  This
is what redirects all "*.*" syslog messages to /dev/tty12.

Thanks,
Jim