Howdy;

I now have MD 8.2 (single boot, no other OS) on this old clunker and it seems
everything works...
....well mostly......

....sort of.

Specs:
ABit BX6 Rev.2
PIII 500 MHz
512 MB SDRAM
Riva TNT 16 MB
Soundblaster Live! Value Digital
(2) Maxtor HDD 13 GB (original) and 60 GB
Liteon 40X CD-ROM
Mitsumi CD-R/RW
Internet connection via cable modem & NIC (10/100)
No LAN (stand alone machine.)
Partitioned thus:
/boot (ext2) (500 MB, too big probably but I ain't short on drive space ;-))
/, swap, /usr, /var, on 13 GB drive,
 /home and /store (MP3s, pictures, other personal junk) on 60 GB using Reiser
FS (all but swap of course)

The network configured at install, sound works, XFree 4.2 did what it was
supposed to do. E-mail and the rest of the trivial crap installed and
configured as it should, but...

I remembered reading that 8.2 doesn't include "Tiny Firewall" as previous
versions did so, I requested "Guarddog" while picking packages. It's there
but how the devil do I configure it? I've been here:
http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/manual2/ and the first thing I see
says that there should be access through Configuration/Networking/Guarddog
which is supposed to be there and isn't. I'll read some more to find why it
isn't where it's supposed to be but even from a terminal (superuser mode), or
the console as root I can't access the program. Just get error messages.
re: "An error occurred while reading the protocol database."
Details: "XML Parse error:
Line: 674, Column: 52 , , tag mismatch
Line: 674, Column: 52 , , error while parsing element
Line: 674, Column: 52 , , error while parsing content"
3 repetitions of this (4 total) then:
"Line: 674, column: 52 , , error while parsing main element"

Second silliness that I'm sure is something simple:
I can read and write to preformatted floppies but can't get a CD to open in
either drive. Even as 'su' "You do not have enough permissions to..."

What have I messed up?

Hints would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Charlie