The standard Mandrake kernel can handle pcmcia cards without any compilation.
If Kde Control Centre>Information>pcmcia is not showing your pcmcia cards try
checking the file
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia In 8.1 it should read
PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=i82365

in 8.2 pcmcia card support changes and the second line should read
PCIC=yenta_socket

I have just inserted a pcmcia modem card in my Sony VAIO laptop and 8.2 has
picked it up on boot. I can see it in kde control centre and the Internet
dialler  kppp has found it when I selected 'Query Modem' although it is NOT
listed in harddrake.

If pcmcia is not working in your laptop it may be a manufacturer specific
problem in which case checking out the pcmcia HOWTO and the forums at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/  is a good move.

HTH

derek