On Sunday 07 April 2002 11:29 am, Linus Drouhard opened a hailing frequency
and transmitted:

> MD 8.2 and really liked it, but could not get a printer installed.
> Whenever I ran PrinterDrake, it asked me for Disc 1 and tried to install
> something.  My computer would freeze solid during install, responding
> only to the reset button.  I tried a fresh reinstall of MD 8.2.  Same.

there is a bug fix for printerdrak, but i think it only applies to HP's.

> Tried a fresh install of 8.1.  Froze during the install.  Civileme
> suggested a bad CD.  I burned a new one.  Same.  I tried installing from
> a different CD-drive.  Same.  I pulled my soundcard and every other
> "non-essential" card and disk drive.  I was able to reinstall MD 8.2.  I
> ran PrinterDrake.  It wanted to install some package again (CUPS and
> Foomatic, I believe).  Out of frustration, I just hit "cancel" and you
> guessed it, it worked!  I now have a printer.  I thought I was home free.
>  Remember the soundcard I pulled?  I reinstalled the card and tried to
> run "soundcfg".  Not there.  I ran software manager.  Froze.  Solid.

just curious, but what type of conection is the printer?  could your bios
be attempting to use an IRQ for the soundcard that the printer is using on
an lpt port?  that is just shooting in the dark though as software manager
would not freeze for that, rather you would think you simply would not get
sound or not print.

you say you burned a new cd, was it from the same download?  did you
checksum it?

last but not least, if it is the software manager, have you tried
installing the needed packages from the commandline?

not much help really, but a place to start.....

--
Microsoft: The company that made web browsing dangerous.

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/