On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 20:35:55 +0300, Robin Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there any way to remove the URW fonts set without breaking Ghostscript and
> Image Magick?  Like the abisource fonts (which I just removed), I find they
> don't seem to play nicely with some applications.  Alternatively, is there
> any way I can tell Mandrake to only use these fonts as a last resource (e.g.
> so that any time a document specificies "times" it will use Adobe Times, not
> URW)?
>
> Sir Robin

I am assuming that you use xfs to manage your fonts, as most people do (I don't,
though).

First, open the file /etc/X11/fs/config in an editor. In the "catalogue"
section, you will see a bunch of font paths (one per line). These are ordered
from the most preferred font path (top) to the least preferred path (bottom).
All you need to do is rearrange the order of the paths, ensuring there is a
comma at the end of every path except the last. You can also add, remove, or
disable (comment out) font paths.

Save the file, then run 'service xfs restart' as root.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
  -- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of
                Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.