It isn't a good answer, but it's the truth whether you like it or not. Before
the official release, the only people who would use the (unfinished) product are
people who know what they're doing and who are willing to experiment (i.e.
mostly developers and testers). Most people aren't like this, so the software is
only tested in a limited combination of system setups and configurations. KDE3
probably works quite well on most of the developers' and testers' computers, and
so was judged to be ready for release. Once the official release is made, an
endless minefield of possibilities is opened as ordinary users decide to try
this "stable" release. Things are bound to go wrong, and you'll probably have to
wait for a 3.1 release to have decent stability.

This is normal, and is to be expected. It happened with KDE 1.0, GNOME 1.0 and
KDE 2.0. I am expecting it to happen to GNOME 2.0. It happens to commercial
software as well, but many companies have the resources to test their software
on a variety of configurations before releasing. Also, KDE is far broader in
scope than most commercial applications, so there is more that can go wrong.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                "The "Internet" cannot be removed from your Desktop.
                Do you want to delete the "Internet" now?"
                                -- Microsoft Windows 95