quaylar wrote:

> hiho all,
>
> I am wondering why i haven´t already read such a question here (or did i
> miss it ?).
> Anyway - as the subject says - how can i get rid of this graphical bootup
> screen - it SUCKS !
>
> I want the normal text bootup back, black background and linux kernel
> messages floating down my screen.
>
> I already searched in deja which turned up with the solution to uninstall
> the bootsplash rpm and removin the "quit" option from the append line
> in lilo.conf.
> It didnt solve my problem - in 8.1 one was able to switch off this
> "feature" in mandrake control - but this isnt possible any more, the option
> is gone (why ????)
> So - can anybody provide a solution to this (i am pretty sure there are
> lots of u who want to kick this graphical bootup too ;)
>
> greets
>
> --qu

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

If you are using lilo as a boot manager remove the 'quiet' keyword from
the append line in /etc/lilo.conf. Also, I changed the 'vga=xxx' to
'vga=791'. This puts the screen in 1024x768 mode. Make sure you have a
backup way to load linux so you can chage it back if necessary.  By the
way, the 'vga=791 also put my virtual consoles into 1024x768 mode. Makes
it very nice. Now the vc screen is easy to read and there are lots more
lines per screen. Do not forget to execute lilo after the above changes.
HTH
Charles