john rigby wrote:

>I think I will go away.........................
>(sigh)
>    "You may create the greatest library in the world, but if the ignorant
>are both vain and ignorant, it will mean nothing even after their freedom
>bleeds away. That is the fundamental problem of all social advancement "
>                                 Book 1: Ku a'la  4,880 years
>ago...................... nothing changes much.
>
>For the odd few who care about more than just grabbing freebies.........  It
>is VERY worth while to go read this:
>
> http://www.talkbiz.com/assassin.html
>
>It DOES explain where a lot of your mail has gone!
>
>Cheers,
>
>John

Actually, the site has a valid point.  Dial-Up Lists or DULs are used by
a lot of servers to _reject_ email.  This means that if you are on a
dial-up or more improtantly, your IP is on their record as belonging to
a dial-up block, your mail is kicked and neither received nor relayed.
 DUL as the acronym is also a good description of the mentality to think
of such an action.  Most spammers are rapacious businessmen, or con men
or attorneys (don't forget attorneys _invented_ spam), and they are
unlikely to set up a dial-up with postfix running so they can transmit
spam traceably from their own computers...  Instead they will use AOL
free trial hours or freemail services.  So the DUL is a blot on email
and little more, value as anti-spam is infinitesimal.

And in the same was that anti-virus people hype their products to sell
to gullible users of linux as well as windows, anti-spam people hype
second-rate products that work more like a blackboard eraser, nuking
your email rather than surgically striking at it.

And it is on-topic for this and every other mailing list.  Most
anti-spam is trash.

Civileme