Ellen,

Sounds like you have some basic problems with the setup of the CDROM -
probably as a result of supermount.  Here is an example of me mounting a
CD with supermount switched off:

[brian@daw brian]$ mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: only root can do that
[brian@daw brian]$ su
Password:
[root@daw brian]# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
[root@daw brian]# ls /mnt/cdrom
autorun.inf  dosutils/    INSTALL.txt       Mandrake/     tutorial/
Boot/        images/      LICENSE-APPS.txt  misc/         VERSION
COPYING      index.htm    LICENSE.txt       README.txt
doc/         install.htm  live_update*      RPM-GPG-KEYS
[root@daw brian]# umount /mnt/cdrom
[root@daw brian]# eject /dev/cdrom

Now, if you do this, where does it fail and what does it say?  Maybe you
can post a console session like the one above along with the output from
the commands:

ll /mnt
ll /dev/cdrom

It would also be useful to see the contents of your /etc/fstab and
/etc/lilo.conf files.  Sorry if that sounds like a lot, but armed with
that info, we can certainly sort out your problem.

To get the console text into an e-mail, just highlight the text in the
console window, then click into the window in which you are writing your
post and click the middle mouse button to paste the highlighted text.
If you only have a two button mouse, clicking both buttons at once will
do it.

HTH
Brian