--- civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ron Bouwhuis wrote:
>
> >I have a ML 8.0 running Samba supporting a home
> >network of 1 ML 8.2, 1 Win '98 and 1 Win 2k (my
> work
> >laptop).  My wife is keen to get a new laptop - but
> >wants a Mac i-Book.  2 questions:
> >

> Well, you know ML is available for G3/G4 based MACs,
> and CUPS works.

I know - which means when I win the Linux is best
argument, her i-Book is still useable!

> >1. I run an HP PSC 500 off the ML8.0 using CUPS.
> The
> >HP website doesn't offer printer drivers for that
> >printer for the Mac.  But since Linux does and it
> >hangs off the Mandrake box - how would I get the
> Mac
> >to print to the HP PSC?  I was thinking I might be
> >able to go a PostScript route (using GhostScript,
> >somehow).  Any thoughts?
> >

> Of course, cups has the software to emulate an lpd
> server, so you could
> use lpd from MAC OS X, I believe.

Worth looking into...  I'm hoping someone out there
will say "I got a Mac to print through a Samba share
to xxx printer which doesn't come with a Mac driver"

> >2. One main reason for keeping the Windows going
> has
> >been to run voice-chat (we use Yahoo messenger -
> >doesn't offer voice on the Linux version).  Anyone
> >know a good alternative that works on Mac, Windows
> AND
> >Linux?
> >
> How does Gyach do?

Just looked at the Gyach site - interesting, but
doesn't do voice communication, unless I've missed
something!  However, when searching Google for Gyach,
I stumbled across Freewebfone 3.3, which claims to be
cross-platform for all 3.  Anyone got any experience
with this?

Thanks,
Ron.