On Wednesday 17 April 2002 17:33, you wrote:
> I just did a major upgrade on my computer and installed 8.2 at the same
> time. I replaced my motherboard, cpu, memory and power supply and I now
> have everything running well, except that d@#n WD hard drive. I have of
> course slowed it down to DMA33, but I have problems with the (c,h,s) count
> on it and the partition boundaries.
> Right now, I get the following reports about the (c,h,s) triple:
> DiskDrake: (4865, 255, 63)
> fdisk: (4865, 255, 63)
> bios: (19158, 16, 255)
>
> Not only do these not agree, but none of them are the same as fdisk
> reported on the old motherboard:
> fisk on old mobo: (77545, 16, 63)
> I started with an empty hard drive on the old mobo and set up the
> partitions inside Mandrake, so they are consistent with these last (c,h,s)
> numbers.
> Of course fdisk -l /dev/hde warns me now about inconsistent boundaries
> [output below].
> What should I do? Put the old (c,h,s) numbers into lilo.conf? I already
> have lba32 set in lilo.conf, and linear addressing activated in the bios.
> One thing I know is that the bios  will not accept the (77545,16,63)
> triplet.
>
> Motherboard: MSI K7T266 Pro2. Bios: AMI version 3.4
> Hard drive: WD400-BB (Yes, I know it's trash, I bought it before I knew)
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Narfi.
> Below: fdisk output and /etc/lilo.conf
>
> # fdisk -l /dev/hde
>
> Disk /dev/hde: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4865 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hde1   *         1        64    511528+  83  Linux
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=(1014, 15, 63) should be (1014, 254, 63)
> /dev/hde2            64      3844  30359448   85  Linux extended
> Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=(1023, 15, 63) should be (1023, 254, 63)
> /dev/hde5            64        96    255496+  82  Linux swap
> /dev/hde6            96       478   3071848+  83  Linux
> /dev/hde7           478      1116   5119600+  83  Linux
> /dev/hde8          1116      2901  14335744+  83  Linux
> /dev/hde9          2901      3155   2047720+  83  Linux
> /dev/hde10         3155      3206    409216+  83  Linux
> /dev/hde11         3206      3844   5119600+  83  Linux
>
> # cat /etc/lilo.conf
> default=linux
> boot=/dev/hde
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> lba32
> prompt
> nowarn
> timeout=100
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> ignore-table
> disk=/dev/hda bios=0x81
> disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> [...]
We share the same Mobo, and I found something similar resulted.
In my case I had a 40gig Maxtor hard drive, where  all the different
means of defining hard drive size, came up with different answers,
no matter which partition tools were employed. I asked the hard drive
manufacturers, about this problem, and to cut a long story short, it
turns out there are more than one way of actually measuring hard drive
sizes, which I did not know. It all depends upon which formular is employed.
This can mean that bioses can vary the result In the end I elected to use one
partition tool, PQ Partition Magic, to do all the partition work,on all my
hard drives, this way at least , the size came out equal no matter which
means of listing the partition table you chose to work with, that is the old
dos fdisk, or linux fdisk , and there were no missing bits between the
partitions, that somehow get created , and cyliners head and sectors get
rounded off.
I also notice your lilo.conf  has additional stanzas:-
ignor table
disk=/dev/hda bios=0x81
disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
I would ask what these entries are there for ?
possibly this has something to do with the fact that perhaps
you are not multiple booting with windows as well, where as I am.
If this hard drive is hde then it is the 5th hard drive in your system.
This probably means that RAID control comes into it. I know our
Mobo can handle them , but I am not at this position yet,so I would
be interested to know how you got on with adding these additional
hard drives. I haven't filled all 40(reduced by system to 38gigs) gigs
yet , but I am sure that I will.

regards,
John

--