Hi all;

<rant>
My 'experiment' in "too much hard drive space" worked out just fine. The only
problems I have installing Mandrake on any machine (so far) are (minor):

The time required looking through the packages for install. I can't  do a
sysadmin/duplicate install from floppy since these (17 and counting) are
separate stand-alone, no local area network connected, internet/home generic
user machines. (That's actually a blessing, just time consuming.) Plus a few
hardware incompatibilities (minor ones that are filed under "D'UH!" you
should know better Charlie you twit!) that are the fault of OEMs and the
hardware manufacturers in general. All resolved.

Add (much more aggravating and still unresolved) the fact that the machines
that are connected to the local cable network (plus my own) all have a
problem with NOT being 'networked' when an ethernet card is installed. The
x-session errors file for the four that I've helped with all say the same
thing:  "Can't get own host name. Your system is severely misconfigured", and
other related noises. The hell they are; the only problems on any of them are
those relating to "hostname." There was never a hostname applied during
install on two of them, the other two had the "localhost.localdomain
localhost" default used. This is driving me absolutely mad and the cable ISP
is no help. So far I got an answer about assigning a hostname followed by a
quickdisclaimer that it may break every 48 hours since the IP addresses are
"dynamic" on a 48 hour lease. Even though I've had the same IP address for 3+
years.
</rant>

<foaming at the mouth rant>
The single most aggravating thing about any of this actually started
somewhere back during the MDK 7.x days. How the flaming unholy hell do I
drive a stake through "supermount"'s heart, and have it stay dead? It's one
of those "protocols/utilities" with an almost Microsoft score in
functionality, ease of use, and transparency. None at all in other words, at
least not for me.
</foaming at the mouth rant>

Thanks for the forbearance and for reading. Does anyone have a suggestion on
how to fix these troubles? Do you need to see .conf scripts/entries? Here or
off list is fine since I've run out of ideas and the re-install that is my
(typical newbie) response won't help. I won't learn anything from that.
--
Charlie in Edmonton, AB., Canada
Mandrake 8.2