Basically, the system's being lazy with the log.  In some cases this can
almost be seen as a good thing.  It means your don't have much writing
to the log.

All you need to do is find the what it's repeating.  It should be last
line written ABOVE all of those things.  Here's an example from my log.

Apr 16 02:47:32 localhost snort[29743]: [1:477:1] ICMP Source Quench
[Classification: Potentially Bad Traffic] [Priority: 2]: {ICMP}
Apr 16 02:49:04 r2d2 last message repeated 7 times

So it repeated the line from snort 7 times before something interrupted
what it was doing, then made it print again.

All you have to do is find out what's above all of those.  Try this
command, it may give you the line that it's repeating.

grep -B 5 repeated /var/log/messages

So it finds every line that has repeated in it, then prints the 5 lines
BEFORE it as well.  Check the man page for grep for more options.  If
you don't get anything printed with the above command, change the 5 to a
10.

Hope that helps.
tdh

 T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091