I just installed Mandrake 8.1 last night, again after deciding that I wanted
to dual boot again.  I have set it up to boot to LILO and from there I can
go into Windows, Linux, Floppy, etc.

When I choose to go into Linux it boots up to the shell prompt.  This is
what I want it to do.  From there I want to be able to type a command to
load "X".  I prefer to use Gnome for my window manager.  I tried typing X at
the prompt, while this seems to try to start X it freezes up the system and
I can't get it to respond to anything.  I get a grey screen with an X in the
middle and it tries to load for about 30 sec then it stops, I have let it
sit there like that for 15 min nothing else happens.  I rebooted and tried
to type startx and this didn't do anything.

On my Redhat machine I have a similar problem when just typing X to load it,
but startx usually works fine.  Can anyone help me load gnome from the shell
prompt.

Thanks