Hi all,

I am running ProFTPd, at least I hope I do.

When I start the service, it says "ok"

When I want to log into the server, I see:

[paul@tbird paul]$ ftp tbird
Connected to tbird.merlijn.
Compiled-in modules:
ftp> user paul
Not connected.
ftp> bye

I followed the thread on proftpd which happened about a month ago, stating
that the setup should not be "Server= standalone" but "Server=inetd". I
tried that setup too, but that gave me only the info that there was no
socket available (or something to that extent).

Can anyone help me get FTP back up? I like it to fling files back and forth
through scripts.

My /etc/proftpd.conf
ServerName                      "ProFTPD on TBIRD"
ServerType                      standalone
#ServerType                     inetd
DefaultServer                   on
AllowStoreRestart               on
# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port                            21
# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
# from being group and world writable.
Umask                           022
MaxInstances                    30
# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User                            nobody
Group                           nogroup
# Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
<Directory /*>
  AllowOverwrite                on
</Directory>
# Needed for NIS.
PersistentPasswd                off

This is the plain vanilla config as set up by Mandrake 8.2. I wonder what I
have to change to get this back up an and running as with 8.0. There it
worked right out of the box. Strange...

Paul

--
Men of genius are often dull and inert in society,
as a blazing meteor when it descends to earth, is only a stone.

http://nlpagan.net - Registered Linux User 174403
Linux Mandrake 8.2 - Sylpheed 0.7.4