Hello List,

I have an Mitsubishi Amity CN notebook, Pentium 133MHz 48MB RAM (which is
it's maximum capacity), with a 1.5GB hard drive with which I'd like to dual
boot Win98 and Linux-Mandrake 8.2. I can connect to the Internet and LAN via
a Netgear FA411 PCMCIA NIC under Win9x.

I have set aside 128MB for swap space and 550MB for / (I am not interested
in trying to run X on this little thing).

I'd like to do a network install. I can mount the CD in another box and make
a network connection to it but I get an error message stating that 52MB RAM
is needed.

The drakx README might be saying I could use a "ramdisk" but I don't know
what that is or how to set one up.

I've included some of the README below.  Maybe you can help me. Thanks, Jon

****
* PCMCIA install
****
If the media you use to install is a pcmcia device, use the pcmcia boot
disk.

****
* Ramdisk or not
****
The DrakX install is much bigger than the newt one. So the ramdisk which was
used is getting big, and costs a lot in memory
(eg: the mdkinst_stage2 is 14MB - 23/09/99)
(update! now size is 21MB - 24/01/01)

|-------+---------+---------------------------------------------------------
-
| nfs   | live    | live
| ftp   | ramdisk | ramdisk
| http  | ramdisk | ramdisk
| hd    | ramdisk | live if Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/runinstall2 is a link,
|       |         |   ramdisk otherwise
| cdrom | ramdisk | live if memory < 52MB, ramdisk otherwise

Where ramdisk is needed, if detected memory is below the limit allowed for
ramdisk (maintained in file gi/mdk-stage1/config-stage1.h; currently 52 Mb),
a failure dialog will be printed explaining that there is not enough memory
to perform the installation.

When i say live, it means that the stage1 will *mount* the
Mandrake/mdkinst and use it that way.

The ramdisk is used in place of the live in some cases. This ramdisk is
filled
with mdkinst_stage2.gz

For cdrom install, the ramdisk is used to speed up things (access time is
quite
high on cdrom drives)

For pcmcia, it depends on the type of install.

Thanks, Jon

---