On Tuesday 23 April 2002 4:06 pm, you wrote:
> Requirement:
> I have one PC with mdk 8.2 linux with 3 users A,B and C.
> All should have access to the mail retrieved from ISP's pop3 server and
> should be able to send mail through ISP's SMTP server.
>  This is required because in the absence of one another can download mail
> and send mail. However they shouldn't have access to other files of the
> friends.
>
> What I made?
> First I opened kmail in one of the users. This created the necessary files
> in Mail folder of that user.
> Then I made a folder Mail in /var/spool/ and copied the files created as
> above.
> I did chmod g+rws to /var/spool/Mail.
> I created group Mail and made all the three members of that group.
> I made all the files in /var/spool/Mail group rw.
>
> Problem
> Now when the first user connects and downloads mail. OK. But Kmail now
> changes the inbox permissions rw of that user only. group permissions are
> removed. Once he replies/composes a mail and sends it outbox permission
> also changes as above. Because of this other user can not download mail or
> send any mail. How to avoid these changes?
> If it can't be avoided how it can be rectified.(users are not expected to
> do any comand line job or to run  any other program)

How about running fetchmail as a daemon periodically polling the ISP mailbox
and then handing over to procmail to replicate the mail into 3 mailboxes.
Kmail can easily be configured to read mail from a local procmail mailbox. As
for sending each user can send to the same smpt server using the same account
name/password.
There is a nice writeup on fetchmail/procmail at mandrakeuser.org and the man
pages for fetchmail and procmail are very informative.

HTH

derek