On Monday 29 April 2002 08:57 pm, Schwenk, Jeanie wrote:
> It worked!  Thank goodness.  I am trying to get the same exact
> functionality on my linux box as I have on my windows box.
>
> Thanks.
> Jeanie

Jeanie:
While it's not possible to completely duplicate Windows' behavior in Linux,
there are some work-arounds. For example, you can simulate BSOD's by either
hitting the reset button every 150 minutes, or pulling the plug from the wall
at the same time interval. Once you become competent in Linux, of course, you
can probably write a cron job to do this automatically. Until then, a simple
solution is to use a common kitchen timer (Radio Shack is a good source). As
for viruses and worms, you'll have to create those on your own, because the
standard tools used by script kiddies are very much Windows-specific. And,
even when you are successful, they will only run on your PC. Sort of takes
all of the fun out of it, doesn't it? As for cost, the _best_ solution that I
can offer to the lack of M$'s licensing fees is that you send me a check for
several hundred bucks every two years. While we're at it, I'd also like a
check every month to cover your costs of not having to download M$'s latest
semi-effective security updates. Hmmm... and then there's the third party
utilities that you won't be buying: McAfee, Norton, etc.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist it.

-- cmg