OK, this is not a question, but a VERY recent experience that might be
worth relating.

Last night I added a second hard drive to my main machine (LM 8.2 ).
Diskdrake makes things nice and easy, so I used it.  Clicked on the hdb
tab, created a new partition.  Where would you like to mount it asks
diskdrake and suggests /var.  Good idea thinks Brian.  That makes the
machine a little more bullet proof.  Diskdrake tells me that the
existing /var files will need to be moved to the new partition, or
hidden, so I elect to move them.  It also says that this can't be done
until after a reboot, which is entirely reasonable as of course all the
logs in /var are now open.

It leaves the question of what to do next a little ambiguous, but I
reason that it would be a good move to format the partition at this
point.  The format fails.  Hmmm.  Must be some sort of clever mechanism
diskdrake is using.  i.e. It's somehow scheduled the /var files to be
moved during the next boot and will format the partition as part of that
process.  WRONG!

Reboot and oops - can't mount /var - something wrong bigtime with this
file system (well I knew that).  It drops me into a "repair file system
dialog" meaning a prompt.  i.e.  "You're the human - you work it out!"

OK, no biggie.  mkfs and continue, then straighten things out when the
boot completes.

But what if I didn't know how to do it from the CLI?  The GUI has just
made things very gooey indeed!

cheers
Brian