I have built a number of these.  Always used older H/W as raw CPU speed
is a bit wasted on this application.  At the moment my server is a
Pentium 1 200.  I put a PCI IDE controller and a PCI USB card into it so
it can handle large drives and USB printers.  (The USB support on old
mobos can be suspect and the bios can't see disks bigger than GB).

The only other thing you need is for the machine to have a bios than can
be set to halt on no errors.  i.e. not to complain about missing
keyboard etc.  I had no trouble with the award bios with this - at least
back as far as 1995 revision dates.  A Dell system I set up for a
customer insisted on having a keyboard no matter what, so we just left
one connected out of sight.

Anyway, I guess the main advice is to just check that the bios supports
halt on no errors.  Booting from CD is also handy of course.

You will of course have a keyboard, mouse and monitor connected while
installing, so make sure you do a final boot with just the monitor
attached, so you can see any hardware detection issues.

HTH
Brian