On Sunday 05 May 2002 4:25 pm, Michael Kovary wrote:

> anyone know of a free perl IDE for linux or windows?  Also come good
> documentation would be nice to get started.

When I used Windows (!) the best was Open Source:

http://open-perl-ide.sourceforge.net/

It has excellent documentation built in.

For Linux you have one right in front of you installed as part of the
Mandrake distribution; I haven't started with it in earnest yet, but
KDevelop looks good and isn't just for C++ (there's syntax highlighting
built in for Perl, and much else; I would use Python).

Perl has probably the best documentation online of any language. Two
sources are:

http://www.perl.com/pub/q/documentation

http://www.perldoc.com/

The classic 'starting off with Perl' printed source is the 'llama book',
Beginning Perl by Schwartz and Phoenix:

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001320/ref=pd_sim_books/103-2333940-9858206>

Once you get going the 'camel book', Programming Perl by Wall,
Christiansen and Orwant, is a (big) step up:

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000278/qid=1020620581/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_71_1/103-2333940-9858206>

Alastair
--
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)