On Sunday 12 May 2002 12:05, Stormjumper wrote:
> thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> i do not have interrupt conflicts,
> so thta isn't the problem.
>
> this issue seems to be common, altho not
> widespread amongst the recent distributions,
> as i've tried Mandrake 8.2, Peanut 9.2,
> gentoo 1.1a, so it seems to be something
> new that is causing it.
>
> at this stage, i suspect it may be certain
> kernel parameters of the 2.4.18 kernel.
> since the earlier distros seem to be working fine.
>
> (like Robin Turner has already remarked,
> it doesn't happen on Mandrake 8.0 with my system too,
> and our systems don't have much in common in
> terms of hardware.)

Yeah, I checked my IRQs in the BIOS and in Windows device Manager
(see, Windows is good for something!) and nothing untoward seems to
be going on there either.

One thing I've noticed that is different with 8.2 is that PnP
detection has been beefed up a little.  I falsely said that my Cirrus
Logic winmodem had not been detected; in fact it had not only been
detected, but installed at /dev/modem, and even worked, at least
until the inevitable X-freeze.  I removed it as someone (Roman?)
suggested and got my external modem working as in previous installs,
but it didn't solve the problem.

8.2 is also the first distro to get my AWE64 soundcard working
without having to run sndconfig manually.  The interesting thing is
that it doesn't _think_  it works; the summary screen in the
installer doesn't show anything for soundcard, and running a probe
just tells me to run sndconfig after installation.  But I have sound
all the same.  Maybe I should take out the soundcard too, reinstall,
put it back in and run sndconfig.

Sir Robin

--
"Bravo Epictetus!" - Epictetus