On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 12:06, Randy Kramer wrote:

> Just to weigh in on the other side, I don't -- I get worse performance
> under Linux, and that's been consistent across quite a few installations
> by now.
>
> Some will say (have said) that I am not comparing apples to apples -- my
> comparison is to Windows 95 running things like IE5, Netscape (as mail
> client), Word and Excel97, and similar, on machines with 250 to 300 MHz.
> processors and 64 MB of memory, versus KDE 2.2, konqueror, kmail, etc.
> (Mandrake 7.2 and 8.1).  I've upgraded the memory in one machine to 256
> MB and now it is almost comparable to Windows 95 in speed, it is more
> reliable, but it does fill occasionally fill up the 500 MB+ swap file
> and crash.

Randy, you're not comparing apples to apples.  ;)  Just kidding.  But
you should know that you just influenced me to install 384 megs of ram
in the KX7-333R Abit mobo that I'll be getting in the next two weeks.

I don't run gnome or KDE, but I do have Enlightenment running with KDE
support, and I've got the KDE workstation option installed here, so all
the associated KDE stuff is accessible, including the session manager.
I like the KDE session manager better than anything else I've seen; but
this is digression.  The point I'm wanting to bring up is that this
system is much faster and more responsive under this OS and WM than 98.

> I'm not looking to discuss this at this point -- I've raised it on
> several mailing lists at various times with no great satisfaction.  I
> only want to make it clear that there is more than one person that sees
> Linux as reducing performance.

Yet you don't any more, do you?  Not since you upgraded your ram.  :)

> (Aside: I do plan to stick with Linux for what you might call
> "political" reasons -- Microsoft must have a viable competitor or we'll
> (the user public) just get "scr___ed" more and more.)

Microsoft doesn't need a competitor, it needs justice and a bottomless
prison.

> Randy Kramer

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1