On Friday 17 May 2002 05:48 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> On Friday 17 May 2002 16:02, you wrote:

> > How do i unpack this files? and where do they go?
> > should i rightclick on the tar file an choose
> > openwith>terminal>shell, and the write the tar-command
> > to unpack the files?
>
> The easiest way is rightmouse click the tar file down to archiver,
> leftmouse click extract,choose destination and OK and your done.
> That unpacks them.
> Then put up a shell in consol , cd to source directory.
> ./configure  2> /errorlogfileyourchoice
> make 2> /errorlogfileyourchoice
> make install.
> between ./configure, make, and make install check the error log
> file to see what problems you may have, these can include
> dependencies, and in your PATH permissions to install for instance.
> it is nearly always better to install programmes as root, and doll
> out permissions to other users.
>
> Perhaps someone on the list could tell us how to change the
> destination directory to one of your own personal choice.

      After the tarball has been unpacked, cd to it's dir and type
'./configure --help |less'.  That should display all the standard
options plus any the author may have added.  A standard option is
  --prefix=DIR     Most tarballs are configured to install to
/usr/local/, so the binary ends up in /usr/local/bin/    You'll see
somethin like this if you do a 'less Makefile'
#prefix = /usr/local
BINDIR = ${prefix}/bin
# BINDIR = /usr/local/bin
MANDIR = ${prefix}/man

      Mandrake rpms OTOH, put binaries in /usr/bin/.  So to make the
binary install to /usr/bin/   just use the prefix option:
   ./configure --prefix=/usr
or, you could edit the Makefile to    BINDIR = /usr/bin   or where
ever you want. Careful tho, some apps need to be where they're set to
go, /usr/X11R6/bin  for example. Look thru the Makefile, there's
other destinations you may want to change, or at least be aware of.

     Many tarball authors include an 'uninstall' option.  To
uninstall the app, cd to the dir the source unpacked in and
 'make uninstall'  FWIW tho, I've found that doesn't always clean up
everything. I use 'locate -i <name_of_app>' to search for stragglers,
or to uninstall if the author didn't provide the uninstall option
(You'll probly need to run 'updatedb' first if your slocate db hasn't
been updated since you installed the tarball).  Once you know where
the stuff is, just delete it.  Since you had to be root to do 'make
install',  you'll need to be root to updatedb, uninstall, and/or
delete.

    Most tarballs include these file, README, INSTALL, Makefile, and
configure, along with a /DOCS dir.  They're all worth lookin thru
before you compile the app for the first time.  Another good source
of info for 'Compiling from source', and y'all might wanna read, is
    http://www.mandrakeuser.org/index.php     Docs
Specially if what I've written is clear as mud ;)
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas