Dear friends,
The avalaible releases of pilot-link, jpilot and all the packages that
use those applications (i.e. kpilot) don't make USB sync to your
computer under linux.
But, the future releases will did and you can, with a few work, have it
runing. This is the way I reached to have this runing in a system with
Mandrake 8.2:

A) First of all, to have pilot-link runing with the usb palm conection.
A1: Go to the http://www.pilot-link.org page and download the CVS and
built it; I did it under Mandrake 8.2 using:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/extra/pilot-head --with-perl5=no
--with-python=no

I had to "insmod visor" to test the pilot-xfer and create the simbolic
link (ln -s /dev/usb/tts/0 /dev/pilot) but due to the using of usbthe
sync button must be pressed before run the program because
/dev/usb/tts/0 is created dinamycally).

Now if you copy all the executable files to /usr/bin (do that as root)
you will see that the conection is possible (try with "pilot-xfer
/dev/ttyUSB0 -l and you will hear a eaven sound ^_^).

B) Jpilot version 0.99.10 or lather beta release.
B1. Go to the jpilot page and download the source of the beta.
B2. configure using:
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-pilot-prefix=/usr/extra/pilot-head
--with-ccoptions="-Wall -O2"

then "make"
finally "make install"

Perhaps you do need to insmod the visor module.

That run for me; now I can sync my palm m505 via the usb port, than is
faster than the serial conection.

Good luck!

Francisco Alcaraz
Murcia