On Tue, 28 May 2002, Spyros Spyropoulos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I configure my soundcard on Mandrake 8.0 ?
>
> Thnx,
> spyross

hmmm...lets see if I can remember that far back. I haven't seen 8.0 for a
few years, so if I get this wrong, please someone correct me. at any rate
Spyros, you can do this one of two ways.

(1) open a terinal window and use the "setuptools" utility. when you
activate this utility it will either initialize the X gui or will run in
the terminal itself. on the menu you're presented with there will be a
menu item that will allow you to configure your sound card. it's a small
wizard that is simple and straight forward.

(2) open Mandrake Control Center, and go to the "Hardware" item shown on
the left of the main panel, click on Hardware, then expand the sound card
item in the list; you will see a sound card in the right pane as long as
Mandrake picked up the card upon installation. you should also see the
card listed as a sub-item in the left pane. click on the sound card in the
left pane and hit the configure button in the right pane.

a list of drivers will be presented to you with it defaulting to what
yours should be. hit the "OK" button and listen for the audio clip to be
played. if you here it click the yes button and you're done. if you didn't
hear it and you're sure that you chose the correct driver for your card
turn up the volume on your speakers and repeat the last procedure. IF you
still don't hear the audio clip then it's likely you have a bit more
configuring to do to get your sound working.

Mark