I forgot to mention that I frame this discussion in light of the
currently available ATI (open source drivers) and Nvidia (closed sourced
drivers).  I myself have one Nvidia card.  It works very well using the
binary-only drivers.  The only issue that I have is that on my
particular system, it takes 1 minute to load X when I load it with the
Nvidia supplied driver.  Just a quirk.  Small but annoying.  I would
love to be able to fix it by helping debug the issue.  Needless to say
Nvidia is not exactly very interested or polite about trying to resolve
the issue.

- Paul Rodriguez